«Statins, also known as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, are a class of lipid-lowering medications. Statins have been found to reducecardiovascular disease and mortality in those who are at high risk of cardiovascular disease. The evidence is strong that statins are effective for treating cardiovascular disease in the early stages of the disease (secondary prevention) and in those at elevated risk but without cardiovascular disease (primary prevention).
Side effects of statins include muscle pain, increased risk of diabetes mellitus, and abnormalities in liver enzyme tests. Additionally, they have rare but severe adverse effects, particularly muscle damage. They inhibit the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase which plays a central role in the production of cholesterol. High cholesterol levels have been associated with cardiovascular disease.
As of 2010[update], a number of statins are on the market: atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pitavastatin, pravastatin, rosuvastatin, and simvastatin. Several combination preparations of a statin and another agent, such as ezetimibe/simvastatin, are also available. In 2005, sales were estimated at US$18.7 billion in the United States. The best-selling statin is atorvastatin also known as Lipitor, which in 2003 became the best-selling pharmaceutical in history. The manufacturer Pfizer reported sales of US$12.4 billion in 2008. Due to patent expirations, several statins became available in 2016 as less expensive generics.» (wikipedia)
Do something with Statins, already
This screen hints what BioMindmap can do with medical objects
- See 35 Biolinks that connect Statins with other objects
- Group Biolinks by type — promoters and inhibitors separately
- Summarize how other objects relate to Statins
- There are 26 Evidences supporting 35 Statins Biolinks
Guide for Good Sources list of respected domains.
The ValidityScore showsthe quality of evidences, with max 9.9.
- Statins Mindmap — near connections
- Mindmap with ValidityScore 5.0 — near connections
- Mindmap of Statins. and Subnodes: .
- Find Path to another object.
- Build Custom Map
- Instream into nodes that connect into Statins.
- Outstream from nodes that go out from Statins.
- Promoters of Statins
- Add biolink i.e. «X increases Statins». Intuitively easy.
- Power-start: watch the Intro Video and Guide in Help Center
- Users improve Reputation by getting experienced and validated.
- Ask Telegram Bot to get quick Summary on any object.