Mucuna pruriens is a tropical legume native to Africa and tropical Asia and widely naturalized and cultivated. IThe plant is notorious for the extreme itchiness it produces on contact, . M. pruriens is a widespread fodder plant in the tropics. To that end, the whole plant is fed to animals as silage, dried hay or dried seeds. M. pruriens silage contains 11-23% crude protein, 35-40% crude fiber, and the dried beans 20-35% crude protein. It also has use in the countries of Benin and Vietnam as a biological control for problematic Imperata cylindrica grass. M. pruriens is said to not be invasive outside its cultivated area. However, the plant is invasive within conservation areas of South Florida, where it frequently invades disturbed land and rockland hammock edge habitats. Cooked fresh shoots or beans can also be eaten. The plant contains relatively high (3–7% dry weight) levels of L-DOPA; some people are sensitive to L-DOPA and may experience nausea, vomiting, cramping, arrhythmia, and hypotension.
The hairs lining the seed pods contain serotonin and the protein mucunain which cause severe itching when the pods are touched.
Do something with Mucuna Pruriens, already
This screen hints what BioMindmap can do with medical objects
- See 21 Biolinks that connect Mucuna Pruriens with other objects
- Group Biolinks by type — promoters and inhibitors separately
- Summarize how other objects relate to Mucuna Pruriens
- There are 3 Evidences supporting 21 Mucuna Pruriens Biolinks
Guide for Good Sources list of respected domains.
The ValidityScore showsthe quality of evidences, with max 9.9.
- Mucuna Pruriens Mindmap — near connections
- Mindmap with ValidityScore 5.0 — near connections
- Mindmap of Mucuna Pruriens. and Subnodes: .
- Find Path to another object.
- Build Custom Map
- Add biolink i.e. «X increases Mucuna Pruriens». Intuitively easy.
- Power-start: watch the Intro Video and Guide in Help Center
- Users improve Reputation by getting experienced and validated.
- Ask Telegram Bot to get quick Summary on any object.