«Ghrelin (pronounced /ˈɡrɛlɪn/), the "hunger hormone", also known as lenomorelin (INN), is a peptide hormone produced by ghrelinergic cell in the gastrointestinal tract that functions as a neuropeptide in the central nervous system. Besides regulating appetite, ghrelin also plays a significant role in regulating the distribution and rate of use of energy.
When the stomach is empty, ghrelin is secreted. When the stomach is stretched, secretion stops.a It acts on hypothalamic brain cell both to increase hunger, and to increase gastric acid secretion and gastrointestinal motility to prepare the body for food intake.
The receptor for ghrelin, the ghrelin/growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GH-R), is found on the same cell in the brain as the receptor for leptin, the satiety hormone that has opposite effects from ghrelin. Ghrelin also plays an important role in regulating reward perception in dopamine neurons that link the ventral tegmental area to the nucleus accumbens (a site that plays a role in processing sexual desire, reward, and reinforcement, and in developing addictions) through its colocalized receptors and interaction with dopamine and acetylcholine. Ghrelin is encoded by the GHRL gene and is presumably produced from the cleavage of the prepropeptide ghrelin/obestatin. Full-length preproghrelin is homologous to promotilin and both are members of the motilin family.
Unlike the case of many other endogenouspeptides, ghrelin is able to cross the blood-brain-barrier, giving exogenously-administered ghrelin unique clinical potential.» (wikipedia)
Do something with Ghrelin
Lists what BioMindmap can do with its medical objects for demo purposes.
- See 30 Biolinks that connect Ghrelin with other objects
- Group Biolinks by type — promoters and inhibitors separately
- Summarize how other objects relate to Ghrelin
- There are 30 Evidences supporting 30 Ghrelin Biolinks
Guide for Good Sources list of respected domains.
The ValidityScore showsthe quality of evidences, with max 9.9.
- Ghrelin Mindmap — near connections
- Mindmap with ValidityScore 5.0 — near connections
- Mindmap of Ghrelin. and Subnodes: .
- Find Path to another object.
- Build Custom Map
- Instream into nodes that connect into Ghrelin.
- Outstream from nodes that go out from Ghrelin.
- Promoters of Ghrelin
- Add biolink i.e. «X increases Ghrelin». Intuitively easy.
- Power-start: watch the Intro Video and Guide in Help Center
- Users improve Reputation by getting experienced and validated.
- Ask Telegram Bot to get quick Summary on any object.